Sunday, December 24, 2006

Ri-post-e

My last post generated the following response from V, debater Par Excellence -

Think once again...
What should have been boycotted...?
A small town bar?
Or the institution of Justice which failed to act properly?
Tell me if you get my point..

The point, though well taken, is somewhat misguided in my opinion. By boycotting the institution of justice, we would have underlined the stagnation that had set into the judicial process, relegating the case to the annals of the Indian system of Justice, to be struggled over for several years more. Where would have the family of Jessica Lal found justice in that case?
Admittedly, the boycott of the small town bar, which by the way is also a source of livelihood for its employees; does raise some questions. But let me conclude by repeating that it is only a part of the whole sum of things that constitute justice. We may have seen this case through without resorting to the methods that my friend considers illogical and unnecessary.

By the way, it's not as if its killing me inside, that I went to a particular bar whose owner was a murderer. I feel bad about it, yes, but not THAT bad!

No comments: