Tuesday, January 16, 2007

On a 80's trip

For some reason, I have started to develop a taste for those crazy pop hits of the Eighties, devoting a good share of my time to musicians such as Cindi Lauper, Eurythmics, Tears for Fears and the evergreen Phil Collins(OK, Cindi lauper was overkill...won't be downloading any more of her work.)

I have also purchased a new pair of headphones, not because the old Philips ones were shot, but because I was getting rather tired of them, with those large spongy earpads that make my ears itch, and all the duct tape and Araldite used to keep the thing in one piece. They still sound great, and to some extent, Better than the new Sony ones, especially in the higher frequency bands. And that's why I won't be tossing those in the trash anytime soon. The Sony ones are lighter, smaller, and more comfortable, and I think the sound will improve marginally with the increased use of the transducers.

I will greatly appreciate it if anybody could send me a playlist of their favourite 80's numbers...I know a lot of the tunes from that era, but I need the names so I can download them.

In other music related news, I found a twin CD set of Chopin, in mint condition, for a dollar-fifty at Goodwill, alongside Green day's American Idiot. I also bought a used DVD of Deepa Mehta's 'Water', not available in India; at a great used CD's/DVD's store. The best thing about optical media is, if handled with due diligence and care, it will not wear out like a tape, so it has a decent resale value. And a lot of people are buying into the theory of digital music files, copying their CD's onto monstrous hard drives, and selling off the original discs to clear up some cabinet space, so guys like me can buy them at reasonable prices, which is stupid of them, but all the better for me.
Agreed, most of the discs you find at such stores are so insipid, you would be too embarrassed to use them even as coasters. A lot of this junk is by bulk-production acts such as Britney Spears and extinct boy-bands. But if you look a little carefully, and you may find the occasional gem within the detritus.

Music - Scorpions-Rock you like a Hurricane

No comments: