Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The prodigal son

I was feeling rather pent-up today, so i decided to shop-til-i-drop. I know that i mentioned in an earlier post how i was trying to get a grip on the fistful of dollars i have left, but what the hell... First was a sleeker Continental TravelContact 26X1.75 tyre on the front end of the bike, which has improved the ride quality dramatically. The rear retains the stock Schwing 26X1.95 mountain bike tyre. The bike took a nasty fall yesterday, damaging the right pedal, so as to make it quite uncomfortable to use. It had to go, so the plastic pedals were replaced by alloy ones, much smoother and durable. The wheels were out of true, so the bike shop guy balanced them for a few dollars extra. I've also finally got the seat angling just right so that it doesn't mutilate my Vas Deferens, and i've got a handy bottle clip on the frame to go as well.

finally, i've got myself a new pair of sandals. There was a lot of travelling and wait involved in the pursuit of my footwear, so i decided that going further out of town on the interstate on a bicycle with traffic at 120 kph wasn't such a hot idea, even if it meant lower prices. I was also getting tired of waiting endlessly for a certain individual who'd promised to get me about.
I got to this mall at the eastern edge of the town, and walked into a store dealing in hiking gear(hurrah!) I found what i was looking for, paid the stupendously high price of $90, and breathed a sigh of relief.
Bollocks to bargains, discounts and waiting for the sales to begin.

the sandals are quite high-quality, good for trekking and hiking, with the top being totally synthetic, a wet surface anti-slip sole acting as the undercarriage, and the ability to convert them into slip-on's on the fly comes as standard. Overall, they grip your feet nicely, and feel well-planted. Now I'm gonna run them in nicely, so that i can get a fair number of kilometres on them, like my old NB sandals.
Now that the sun has started to really toast my skin, i think a few days indoors are in order. My reduced venture capital should also hold me indoors for now. Future investments will only be made once a SSN, Green card and a steady job are in hand.
anyway, i might lose the facility to use the internet regularly by tomorrow, so bear with me, everyone; if i cannot update this page regularly from now on, although i'll do my best, me hearties.
Cheers!
Music - The Rolling Stones-Symphathy for the Devil

No comments: