Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Waiting to Inhale

Through the juxtaposition of St. Valentine's day with a busy weekend, I ended up working for six days at a stretch, non-stop. Needless to say, by the sixth day, I was getting a bit antsy about it all. I had a massive headache and a cranky neck, and to top it all off, I was supposed to be closing, which meant that I would be staying at the restaurant till late. We had been out shopping earlier in the day, and we went to Macy's(which mom insists on pronouncing as 'Massey', of the Massey-Ferguson tractor Co. fame) In pursuit of some nice blankets. there was a clearance sale on, and mom got a light quilt set and a nice polyester(ech!)blanket. I insisted upon her to not buy anything for my bed, but, as my headache grew worse during the night, I decided that a good bed was in order.

So, as soon as the floors were scrubbed free of the grease and the drains cleaned, I headed down to the 24-hour Wal-mart and got myself a rather expensive Pneumatic mattress, complete with memory foam top and electric air pump. And for the first time in months, I slept really well.

That is not to say that I am unable to sleep on floors. It's just that the lack of any cushioning makes the whole affair a bit crude, and the simple, cotton filled Gaddas that you can buy in India for as little as $5 are not available here.

No comments: