Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Bloody Valentine

Who came up with the Idea of converting St. Valentine birthday into this melange of gift-buying, going out for dinner and later, maybe, perhaps, if things work out, getting into bed? Hand me my elephant gun, for the perpetrator is asking for a dose of soft lead in his arse.

So, as it was the cursed day, we were expecting a heavy rush. But at the end of the day, we had served a staggering total of over one thousand and seven hundred people. That is not a heavy rush. That, ladies and gentlemen, is the gates of hell opening up in a kitchen. My station, the Grill, was so heavily loaded, that I needed the backing of two additional people to get the orders done. every now and then, the POS screen was filled with sixteen or seventeen orders, each going out in a different direction. I wasn't stuck in the weeds. It was quicksand. 5 T-bones, 6 skewers, a few dozen filets and other stuff in the fryer baskets is too much for one guy, especially if that sort of situation will last all evening, without a pause.

Thankfully, the Chef was able to bail me out, and I was able to perform even under the tremendous pressure, without ever needing to raise my voice, or losing my cool. That, for me, is the milestone I have had in my mind for a while. A lot of people out there are faster than me, but for the most, the speed comes at the cost of losing their calm, which always leads to problems, and often slows others down. I realise what a valuable asset a calm mind can be when things are getting rough. Other people are more likely to help a guy who is trying his best and not making a fuss about it, rather than a person who is spewing venom.

Music - N.F.A.K - Woh utha rahe hain Pardah , Halka Halka Saroor

2 comments:

V. said...

Bravo, Bravo mon ami!

V. said...

btw, check this out...
nothing to do with your post.. in fact with anything at all!
griggin retarded, yet couldn't stop listening to it!!
LMAO!
http://www.fatboylan.co.uk/files/badger.swf