Sunday, April 29, 2007

Family Memories

My extended family is often looked upon by friends and others as an ideal image. The way we are constantly engaging, meeting, loving, supporting, counseling, and living together is something that seems to be missing in most other extended families. I suppose our family is one that could fall into the joint family category, but with the extensibility and freedom that is offered by a nuclear family. A perfect combination.

As the years have gone by, I have come to the realization that this perfect cocoon that we so value is going to be a thing of the past very soon. Within the span of 3 years, we have spread all over the globe, in the pursuit of a better life, better lifestyles and more. We still actively engage, meet, love, support, counsel, and 'live' together, but only over the telephone, or the internet, or through the written word. I hope this lasts. I hope against the overriding logical conclusion that I have come to, that we are drifting. Apart, or together, I do not know.

Still, here is a picture of my mother, aged 4 years, with my grandfather, and the grandmother I never knew. She has always said how lucky she feels to have come into a family like ours, and although she is optimistic about the future, I have my reservations.

Digital tomfoolery in the picture is sponsored in part by-

No comments: