Saturday, December 30, 2006

A new low in culinary adventure

A recent feature in the local newspapers alerted me to the recent reinstatement of a withdrawn McDonald's product, the McRib; for a limited time, only available upto the 31st of december this year. Research on the internet aroused my curiosity and finally, today was the second-last day before the McRib goes to that big deep-fat fryer in the sky.

for these reasons, and against everything that I stand for, I found myself locking the bike in a McParking-lot, and walked into the jaws of the enemy.

The first thing I noticed was that the staff seemed to be composed from members of the same extended Hispanic family. I guess those guys were the franchisees too. After being handled in a very courteous manner by a slightly built lad of 17, who was being overseen by an aunt or sister or something, I was presented with a sort of lump wrapped in wax paper, which I quickly deduced was the infamous McRib itself(What, no oboes or trombones to announce its arrival??)

The McRib wasn't created as much as it was developed at the University of Nebraska, and has been sold in fits and starts over the past 15-20 years. The main ingredient is ground pork(what part of swine is used remains a mystery, but isn't that the fun thing about all ground meats?) that is compressed into the shape of a rack of spare-ribs and cooked under the same compression, ensuring that the proteins in the meat coagulate, and hold the patty in shape, eliminating the need for an additional binding agent. this component is then frozen and like every other McProduct, gets distributed to individual establishments, where it is re-heated and kept warm in a bath of tangy BBQ sauce, also used to coat the patty. Final assembly involves a soft white bun, a some slivered onions and gherkins.

After settling down and studying the decaying mass of fibre-less white bread, congealed and compressed by the heat from the mysterious meat patty, I closed my eyes and took my first bite...it tasted like (insert default McDonalds taste here) with spicy overtones provided by the BBQ sauce and gherkin pickle. Consuming the rest of the item with the same speed as the service in McDonalds, I reached for the napkin dispenser to wipe off the muck from my hands, and left the establishment.

On the way home, it felt like that I had accidentally swallowed a wine-cork, and it was stuck somewhere in my esophagus, and that wasn't surprising in the least, because that's what the sandwich tasted like - Cork.

God, I miss those kathi kababs...

No comments: